Saturday, April 25, 2015

Waking Up In Serbia

Back to my blog...it's been awhile.

So I've been in Serbia now for almost six months. I love it here in the spring. I actually get to watch everything wake up from a real winter. We don't have real winters in Texas so the spring awakenings are not so obvious as it is here.
This is the pear tree blooming. Around September, the pears will be ready to harvest and used to make rakija (homemade brandy). /photo by me: Rana Jones

I don't know how, after all the pigging out since December, but I have managed to lose 25 pounds. Seriously. Of course there were the two Christmases (I had to look up the plural of Christmas) which involved huge feasts. Then there were three Slavas and finally Easter. And believe me, I ate plenty.  I always lose weight when I come here, then gain it all back when I go back to the states. The only thing I can figure is that there HAS to be something in the food in America that makes you fat. GMO crap, antibiotics, growth hormones, chemicals, fake this and that. Has to be.

If you want to expand your horizons, come to Serbia. It is just awesome here. Everyone is friendly. I haven't met one person that wasn't friendly to me. It took me awhile to get the 3-kiss thing down (this is how Serbians greet you-not just random people, but friends and family) and another thing was taking off my shoes upon entering houses and wearing slippers inside. In Texas, no one did that, unless their shoes were covered in mud or something and I don't know anyone in Texas that wears slippers, except old people.

There is just so much about Serbia that I could write about and I will add future posts. I am having an amazing journey here.

One last thing for today:
Photo by me: Rana Jones

This is the neighbor's barn and it is stacked full of corn to feed his pigs. I am living in a small village in Serbia and these barns are in almost everyone's back yards. So are pigs. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome here! (No spam please)